At St John the Baptist Catholic Primary School recognise the importance of:
- British Values
- Moments in history and those who fought and worked to enable the freedom and voice that we have in Great Britain today.
- The importance of holding personal values and how these can impact on the way we live our lives.
- Understanding that not all parts and peoples of the world have the same freedom, liberty and respect for individual views and beliefs.
We consider core British values to be:
- Democracy – listening/ having a vote
- The Rule of the Law – the need for rules
- Individual Liberty – the right to say things
- Mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs
We also promote specific characteristics which we believe will enable an individual to become a successful member of our modern society. They are:
- perseverance, resilience and grit
- confidence and optimism
- motivation, drive and ambition
- neighbourliness and community spirit
- tolerance and respect
- honesty, integrity and dignity
- conscientiousness, curiosity and focus
We look for opportunities to teach and promote these values and characteristics throughout our school curriculum.
As a Catholic school we also acknowledge a core set of values gifted to us by the Holy Spirit. These gifts are:
- right judgement
- wonder and awe in God's presence
Please click on the items below to learn about our school's approach to the teaching of British values and follow the links to find out more about democracy and how a general election works.